1. Calling the Roll.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Euille, and the City Clerk called the roll; all members of Council were present, with the exception of Councilman Krupicka, who was absent.
2. Moment of Silence and Pledge of Allegiance.
City Council observed a moment of silence and recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
3. Reading and Acting Upon the Minutes of the Following Meeting of City Council:
RECOGNITION OF YOUTH BY MEMBERS OF CITY COUNCIL
4. Recognition of Anna Paez, Who Organized Clean-up of Four Mile Run Park.
City Council recognized Anna Paez for her work.
NEW BUSINESS ITEM NO. 1: Recognition of students from Bishop Ireton High School Wind Ensemble.
City Council recognized the students from the Bishop Ireton High School Wind Ensemble.
5. Presentation of a Proclamation Declaring Saturday, March 6, 2010 as St. Patrick's Day Parade Day and the Month of March as Irish-American Heritage Month.
City Council endorsed the proclamation.
REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER
CONSENT CALENDAR (6-8)
(Resignations and Uncontested Appointments)
6. Uncontested Appointments to Boards, Commissions and Committees:
(a) Alexandria-Caen Sister City Committee
1 Citizen member
(b) Alexandria Transportation Commission
1 Member From the Planning Commission, Nominated by
the Planning Commission
(c) Beautification Commission
1 Citizen Member
(d) Early Childhood Commission
1 Developmental Pediatrician Representing Alexandria
(e) Environmental Policy Commission
1 Member From the Alexandria Business Community
(f) Landlord-Tenant Relations Board
1 Landlord or Representative of Landlords
(g) Park and Recreation Commission
1 Member From Planning District I
1 Member from Planning District II
(h) Social Services Advisory Board
1 Citizen Member
(Reports and Recommendations of the City Manager)
7. Consideration of Authorization of Recommended Capital Project Allocations and Planned Expenditures.
8. Consideration of an Application by the Court Services Unit for Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women Grant Funds for a Supervised Visitation and Safe Child Exchange Program.
END OF CONSENT CALENDAR
City Council adopted the consent calendar, as follows (item #7 was reconsidered later in the evening and was removed from the consent calendar.)
6. City Council made the following appointments to boards and commissions: (a) appointed Steffanie L. Feuer as the one citizen member to the Alexandria-Caen Sister City Committee; (b) reappointed Donna Fossum as the one member from the Planning Commission, nominated by the Commission, to the Alexandria Transportation Commission; (c) reappointed Jill Chiarello as the one citizen member to the Beautification Commission; (d) appointed Samantha Ahdoot as the one developmental pediatrician representing Alexandria Hospital to the Early Childhood Commission; (e) appointed Kristopher Croghan as the one member from the Alexandria business community to the Environmental Policy Commission; (f) reappointed Joann Poladian as the one landlord or representative of landlords to the Landlord-Tenant Relations Board; (g) reappointed William Cromley as the one member from Planning District I and reappointed Ripley Forbes as the one member from Planning District II to the Park and Recreation Commission; and (h) appointed DeAnn Hughes as the one citizen member to the Social Services Advisory Board.
7. City Council authorized $2,945,000 for capital project allocations and planned expenditures for the capital projects as detailed in the Capital Improvement Expenditure Summary. (separate motion)
8. This item was withdrawn at the request of staff.
9. Commission on HIV/AIDS
1 Member From and Representing the Alexandria Hospital
City Council waived the residency requirement and appointed Rachael E. Chieza as the one member from and representing Alexandria Hospital to the Commission on HIV/AIDS.
REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE CITY MANAGER FOR DISCUSSION
10. Consideration of Recommendations and Status Report on Legislation Introduced at the 2010 General Assembly Session.
City Council received the report.
REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM BOARDS, COMMISSIONS AND COMMITTEES
ORAL REPORTS BY MEMBERS OF CITY COUNCIL
ORAL PRESENTATIONS BY MEMBERS OF CITY COUNCIL
(a) Mayor Euille said that between March 15-17, citizens will be receiving the 2010 census questionnaires, and he encouraged citizens to complete the forms.
(b) Vice Mayor Donley thanked Bill Reagan and the Small Business Development Center, as he and Councilman Fannon met with about ten small businesses to talk about their issues. He said it was a good opportunity for he and Councilman Fannon to have a good dialogue with business owners.
(c) Councilwoman Hughes said that last Friday she attended the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments Public Safety and Health Committee meeting and the topic of discussion dealt with the census and efforts for the census to make sure that everyone gets counted. There are very creative things going on in a number of jurisdictions to get folks out and she has received a comprehensive report that she will circulate to Council. Councilwoman Hughes said there are several things individual members of Council can do and as a collective body to support the census efforts.
(d) Councilwoman Hughes noted that February is Black History Month and the NAACP will have its annual black history program at Charles Houston Recreation Center at 2:00 this Sunday. There will be a discussion and mixer held by the Urban League and the ladies of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority to focus on family issues or issues of the black family, and she would host a screening at the Old Town Theatre on Thursday at 9:30 p.m., of a movie called Black and Married with Kidsby LaMarr Tyler.
ORAL REPORT FROM THE CITY MANAGER
(a) City Manager Hartmann announced that today the City was notified that it received the LEED Gold Award for the new DASH facility.
ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS
11. Consideration of a Resolution to Reauthorize the BRAC-133 Advisory Group. [ROLL-CALL VOTE]
City Council: 1. repealed resolution 2322 and adopted the resolution which extends the term of the BRAC Advisory Group and the appointments of the existing members of the group for an additional year; 2. approved an additional member nominated by and representing the Beauregard Heights Civic Association; and 3. allowed for additional members representing stakeholder organizations in the geographic area of the BRAC-133 project to be added to the group upon the request of the chairperson with the agreement of the City Council. (RES. NO. 2386)
12. Introduction and First Reading. Consideration. Passage on First Reading and Second Reading of an Ordinance to Adopt Supplement Number 92 of the City Code. [ROLL-CALL VOTE]
City Council passed the ordinance on first and second reading to adopt supplement number 92 of the City Code. (ORD. NO. 4648)
13. Consideration of City Council Schedule.
City Council: 1. discussed setting a date for a joint work session with the Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA) on either April 7 or April 8 (date to be determined later); 2. scheduled a work session on the Sanitary Sewer Master Plan at 5:30 p.m. before Council's Tuesday, May 11 legislative meeting in the Council work room; and 3. received the revised calendar which includes the Alexandria Jaycees Community Appreciation Night at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 18 in the Sister Cities conference room 1101.